Saturday, June 21, 2008

We Are Gunner Spend

This is the 3rd and final part of my transfer talk posts, and obviously this one would be for my beloved Arsenal. 3 years being empty-handed is crisis for a big club, and there's so much disappointment after a season with much hype and potential. Again it is the nearly-s, should haves and bad luck that we tell everyone. Although we were struck by bad injuries to Rosicky,Eduardo and Van Persie, it would never a accepted for a reason of failure. So here comes me , one of the biggest Arsenal fan out there going to dissect the problem and probably find some solutions to them. For 1 day, Monsieur Wenger has step aside.

We'll head to transfer talk and the current team.

It was a season with so much possibilities because of a strong start to the season. We were leading the League by 5 points and one point and were so close to getting into the semi-finals of the CL. And yet, our lead was chipped as quick as a blink of an eye and the penalty given to Liverpool was as quick as the whistle blown for restarting play after Adebayor's leveler. That is what we would take from the season, anguish and agony.There's a new season ahead, so let's look forward.

We wave goodbye to Jens Lehmann and Mathieu Flamini for their services at the club and some of their exceptional performances over the years. Jens for making some great saves from spot kicks and Mathieu for being the hardman and your tireless effort during the last season. But I feel that your hastiness to leave in a hurry caught up and it's such a pity you will be playing in the UEFA Cup not the CL.

We've got an estimated 30mil to spend , so let's see what the press says, Wenger says and of course what I think. So far, we've got 3 confirmed additions for the new season.
First is the Mexican hotshot Carlos Vela.
He was bought was back in November 2005 but couldn't arrive instantly because of permit issues. So after a couple of seasons in the La Liga, he has qualified for this work permit.He is 20. The thing I'm very happy abt is his progress playing first team football and of course my long awaited dream of a winger since Marc Overmars in 2000!!! Pires and Ljungberg did fairly well but they were never close to matching the class of the Dutchman. Vela is a left-footer which makes him more like Overmars. It has been years since we had a left-winger, Van Persie did for awhile until he was transformed into a forward.

Next is Fran Merida.
He was signed in April 2006 officially when he turned 16 from Barca. Another coup by Spanish scout Cagigao who also stole none other than FABREGAS. We did pay some sum of compensation to Barca for Fran unlike nothing for Fabregas. I did watch Fran play in the European U-17 Championships last year. He seems a very interesting player, very quick, shoots from distances and also has some of Fabregas' sight for passing. Bojan Krkic was player of the tournament , there's when he caught my eye. I doubt there will be another coup as he has contract with Barca....haha. Hopefully he learns a lot of Titi.

And lastly we have Aaron Ramsey.
I really cant believe Wenger got him.Was very surprised. I read headlines like "Everton agree fee for Ramsey" and Man Utd having a club official statement agreeing terms with the player. At the end, he joined Arsenal. For a 17 year old, 5mil is not a small fee by any means, but with the potential he has according to the press, the price is irrelevant at times. It still causes some doubt as Theo Walcott too joined at a similar fee, but he is taking a little more time to blossom, and hopefully he does. He is going straight to the first team so we'll see how he does.

Possible and rumoured incoming and outgoing players.

The most highly speculated incoming player of the entire summer transfer window so far is of course Samir Nasri, the next Zidane? I don't like comparisons and neither do players today. Well according to sources an agreement has reached between clubs and player subject the medical. I guess this means done deal. What makes things more convincing is that he took a separate plane back from European Championships to make his way the London, I hope thats true. Again, the press use phrases like "wonderkid" and "next Zidane" which gives fans so much promise. He wasn't really given the opportunity to shine at the Euros, so I guess he should costs about 11mil. I really hope he joins.

Alexander Hleb looks close to leaving by the day to Barca, The only criticism I have is he can't strike the ball, my biggest problem. He is very creative and has quick feet but in terms of consistency, he doesn't really do it for me. 15mil pounds, I could consider for that fee. Gael Clichy will definitely stay as he just pen a new deal, so I guess the Italian interest would cool. Emmanuel Adebayor is Barca bound for 22mil? One thing I would say, it is nonsense unless the President,Coach, Wenger or Ade speaks. A Barca official made the statement? I could be one, listen to me!! I don't think anyone else is close to leaving. Dont get me started for Fabregas, I'm too tired.

The goalkeeper position is far from being in safe hands. Almunia had an above average season based on his clean sheets, but not too sure yet. I might be saying better things had he kept Stevie G's penalty out. Lol. Fabianski is still young so I should expect goalkeeper to come in.

For the fullbacks, I am very proud of Clichy and Sagna's contribution and being voted in the team of the EPL season. NOW YOU KNOW WHY FRANCE DID SO BADLY!! ANY manager would have had them over Sagnol and Abidal in any given day, Domenech needs his brains hammered. But I am slightly worried for their understudies, Hoyte and Traore are far from what we expect from the first team players, so I would add a right - back unless Wenger reignites Kerrea Gilbert's future.

Midfield. With Flamini's departure, we are short. Gilberto is not the player he use to be, and with the demand for pace ,tireless running and power, I don't think he is that player for it anymore. I heard rumours on Torsten Frings for 4 mil. He is 31, but I'll take him anytime. He is a German key man and he sure can fire those shots!

If Nasri comes in, Fabregas has understudies in him and Denilson, so it should be good enough. There was one sole rumour abt Brazillian Diego. He is rated at 25mil and is nowhere an Arsenal price range but as a manager, if Hleb leaves I'll definitely go for him. He is really really good. But it very unlikely Werder lets him go. Benzema from Lyon would be my dream player. Power and pace of this guy is incredible, but he has pledged to stay.

In the striking positions, we have plenty in options. We have Adebayor,Van Persie, Eduardo,Bendtner and Walcott. Adding another striker would add complications so I think it is not sound for any additions. Another view would be, since Walcott can play right wing, Bendtner is not yet a first team player and Eduardo is injured, there's actually room. There's been talk abt David Villa's desire to join us, but Wenger says he is not interested. With his exploits at the Euro 08, his 17mil tag is undervalued.

Possible transfers
Ins - Nasri , Frings
Outs - Hleb

Wenger's preferences
Ins - Zapata, Diogo(spelt correctly), Albiol, Kranjcar, Ben Arfa

Deyao the manager for the day
Ins - Benzema, Diego , Villa, Sneijder,David Silva
Outs- Eboue, Senderos, Hleb

Verdict- It would take an extraordinary effort to win the EPL. Defence needs to strengthen. Flamini's role needs a replacement. Van Persie and Rosicky's fitness has to be re-assessed to ensure they are less injury-prone. Need players taking shots from distance.

Players to watch - Eduardo and Carlos Vela.

This concludes transfer talk. Hope you liked what I wrote. Thanks for reading and comments are welcomed.

~deyao~