Saturday, September 3, 2011

She's electric, she's the current running through my veins


Just when I thought the my days of blogging about any of the Next Top Model series was over, I am excited to be writing it about it again. When I looked back at my posts on ANTM and BNTM, I didn't think I could ever reproduce any of those things again. Maybe it's because my interest had changed or I have evolved from it. Every post I have ever done came from a sudden inspiration I got from somewhere and often it is a spur of the moment. To make sure I carried it with me, I wrote it on this blog. To write about the same thing I wrote about 2 years ago would be really different. I went back and saw my Next Top Model posts I wrote previously and I was surprised how I wrote them because I wouldn't write them that way if I did it today. My last post about BNTM was more than two years ago.

After a tremendous Britain's Next Top Model Cycle 6 (2010), it has brought me inspiration to write about it again. America's Next Top Model is also hitting new highs in recent times but it lacked that catalyst to get me on the keyboard to write about it. BNTM 6 was just fabulous to watch, full of excitement, humour and surprises.

Just a recap, I started off with Cycle 3 where the stunning Lauren Mccavoy deservingly took honours. Cycle 4 saw Alex coming on top and Cycle 5 saw a determined Mecia edging out Sophie. Cycle 5 started off a bit dull and boring, but things picked up eventually and I really liked it in the end. The quarreling and bitching did put me off a bit during the course but as things got more serious, the quality improved and it was really entertaining. Cycle 5 also was the last for head judge Lisa Snowdon and Huggy Ragnarsson. Milliner Louis Mariette was new to the panel but he wasn't the ideal judge for me. A tribute to the judges for a fantastic show. Overall, it was well worth watching.

Now to the new BNTM 6, reformed and elevated. New judges, new theme and new auditions. From the left: Grace Woodward, Julien MacDonald, Elle Macpherson and Charley Speed. A brief intro, Grace is a fashion stylist and creative director to many huge fashion magazines. She seemed really straight and mean at the start but she became likable. Julien is a top British designer who has worked at the best fashion houses and biggest models in the business. He is not afraid to give you his opinion. 'The Body' Elle Macpherson is one of the world's most famous supermodels ranking on the same level as Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford and Christy Turlington. All I can say she represents the best of the fashion industry. And lastly, Charley is a male model who has worked with the top fashion brands in the world and started at the age of 17. No photographers on the panel this time around. There is a surprise international destination (revealed below). The episode where it was revealed took me on a ride and it was just exhilarating. I was absolutely caught out just when I thought I've seen it all.

Now, straight to business, my favourite contestant Charlotte Holmes. I did have a previous favourite named Charlotte as well, but I like the current one more. I was hoping she would finally overcome the challenge of "the pretty girl can't win"(She has entered a few beauty pageants). She did extremely well right till the end and having her on the show was probably the highlight of the series. Her gorgeous face, bubbly personality, constant smile and determination was to die for. I forgot to mention she's so hilarious and I don't know what it is about her, but I just laughed every time she reacted to something. All I can I say I was thoroughly impressed. She proved so many people wrong by having so many good photos, winning challenges and booked job after job. Elle's reaction to her leaving tells the story how highly she rated her. Elle said:

'I realised afterwards that it was because a lot of comments made about Charlotte -  too commercial, too smiley, not fashion enough, too curvy - were the types of comments I heard early on in my career.When she didn’t make it through to the final three, it felt like a part of me was rejected.'

Her versatility proved a challenge to high fashion but I don't think she could have done more in her part. She might not make it to high fashion in the future but there's so much she could still do.  It's not often you get such a 'cool' contestant on a show like her. She was up for it the entire time and personality did bring her very far. She's probably one of my all time favourite contestants.  Charlotte does some modelling nowadays and also works as a tv presenter. She is so talented and I can't wait for career to blossom, really happy for her. Here some of her shots from the series.

Photo of the week. Shot in Alicante, Spain. Top draw. Reminds me of Adriana Lima.

Revlon photoshoot.
In the Norwegian glacier . Negative 4 degrees with a dress made of bottles.

Shoot in Bukit Cahaya, Malaysia! Nice shape, one of her best shoots.

Charlotte: Bring on the rugby boys!

Shot on the roofs of one of the buildings in Kuala Lumpur.


What a journey for Charlotte on BNTM. She didn't need to win the competition to make it big in the future, she just has it in her. And her progress since the competition has showed that. I'll end it here with some of her pictures I found and some of the other contestants from the Cycle 6. Cycle 7 has already started, who knows, I'll be back with more.

 


                        

Other contestants

Joy
Malaysia shoot.

Toughest conditions ever.

Beauty shoot


Tiffany
One of her strongest.

She manages to make the axe look heavy.
If her hair stayed this way, things would be so different.

 Alisha
Her softness finally showed.


 For a finish. Here's an interview of Charlotte with Superstar Magazine with photos from it. Now you can see why she's so funny.


             


Charlotte will be hosting BNTM Live which is coming soon. Can't wait to see it.

The title is part of Example - Won't Go Quietly which was played on the show and I thought it was a perfect description of Charlotte . I guess my inspiration of this post is quite obvious.

 Back with Next Top Model
~deyao~