Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reflections on Britney Spears


A little over 10 years ago, Britney Spears became a pop icon and one of the biggest ever artist in the world. Today, she still is, but right in the middle of that 10 years, there was so much right and also too much wrongs that happened. I am not a big follower of her, but she has made a lot of headlines the right and wrong way. To become so huge at the age of 17 rarely happens,it did happen to her but it was no smooth ride. Just when everything seemed too perfect, the worst of the worst happens.

I attended her concert a few days ago, and believe me she was quite good. Yes, she lip-synchs and there was so much controversy. She has done it over 80 times and it was no secret. But the dancing was great, the performance was so well-planned and the shine in the performance just made the story that was worth writing. She is not a natural dancer, but the amount work she put in really showed. Seeing her right in front, just made me go through a timeline of everything I know abt her, and I just couldn't imagine she was performing right there, I just couldn't believe it.

After "that" horror period, from all the bad examples she set (that was considered kind words) to divorce and battling for child custody, we thought she was finished. And when her comeback at one of the awards went south, many thought that Britney they hoped to regain was gone forever. And yet, miraculously, things turned around, she made two great albums, sold-out concerts, settled her child custody and she is back on top. How old is she? 28 this year. To get all crap sorted out and to getting back on top and be at this age. She is incredibly lucky.

I've always been a fan of comeback stories, and this one is admirable. Getting back on your feet when hit rock bottom, continuing all the way back on top. It is a great example to follow. I think I am bigger fan of her than I was before.


~deyao~